Friday, June 30, 2017

Psalm 102

Psalm 102 (Jewish Study Bible)
This is a psalm about the devastation caused by the destruction of Jerusalem. The Jewish faith was a "we" faith, corporate and personal. The holy city was at her core and the destruction of Jerusalem, loss of king and temple, dispersion of many, all of these weighed heavily on the psalm writer.

'O Lord, hear my prayer; let my cry come to you.
Do not hide your face from me in my time of trouble; turn your ear to me; when I cry answer me speedily.'

God inspires the Bible, which includes so many 'dark' passages. God seems to be saying that the struggle is real and faith does not preserve us from trouble. Hope and trust are tried in the fire of loss and destruction, pain and abandonment. The author paints vividly the utter pain:
my bones are charred
my body stricken
too wasted to eat
vehement groaning
I lie awake
my enemies revile me
I have eaten ashes
My days are like a shadow
I wither

The psalmist paints a glum picture indeed, and all of us experience similar pain, either in our own lives or vicariously in the lives of others. Certainly, there are times when the horrors overwhelm us.
We may feel tempted to despair, to throw our hands up and view it all as a cruel joke. Yet, the question echoes within us if we dare to think it through, "Why are such prayers in the Bible? What is God saying to us and through us?" For me, it is a proof that God takes the life we live very, very seriously. God does not ignore the darkness and struggle. Everyone who belongs to Him is not always covered with laughter and blessings. It is not always smooth sailing.

Yet light shines in darkness. I can reject the doubt and fear, I can ignore my circumstances (however bleak) and embrace God on His terms. I can declare His faithfulness

You, Lord, are enthroned forever...You will surely arise and take pity on Zion.
He looks down...the Lord beholds the earth...to hear...to release.

Yes, Lord, I believe. Life defeats death. Joy in the midst of sorrow, hope to face loss. I believe, because you are, and we are never alone. You hear, you know, you save.

The closing words, introduced by"everything perishes, you are forever,' recalls the prayer of St. Teresa I blogged on a few weeks ago. A reminder that all things are temporary except God. And because God is God, the psalmist, even in the pain, utters this request to conclude the psalm:

May the children of Your servants dwell securely and their offspring endure in Your presence.

A good prayer: it's not about me, but focuses on my kids and your kids. A prayer that trusts in "some day" and God's (slow to us) faithfulness and salvation. A prayer that takes me out of me and reminds me of us. Personal, yet corporate.

We prayed this psalm today, aware of our own losses, aware of the losses of others, and we embrace the faith, hope and love which God generates by His faithful mercy kindness. amen






No comments:

Post a Comment