Sunday, June 9, 2019

Pentecost 2019

ACTS 2:1-21   psalm 104:25-35, 37   Romans 8:14-17   John 14:8-17

Salvation is best understood as "God uniting us to Himself," so the gift of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost was the next step in His plan to save us. The word Spirit-- (pneuma) in Greek and (ruah) in Hebrew--is also  translated as wind or breath. In the bible, the spirit animates a body and it is the essence of he person. When the spirit departs the body becomes a corpse. By extension, the Holy Spirit is the Father's divine life and essence, which He shares with us. The life in Jesus is made available to us. We share His essence and become children of God. However, the life of God within us can be nullified by unbelief and sin. 

In the Gospel Jesus said, "Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me." This is a core Christian belief. When we really believe that Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in the Son, it becomes possible for us to receive adoption. In John 14:20 Jesus says "I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you." This is also a core Christian belief. It is why Jesus is at the center of any talk of God. It is the mystery of theosis. The expression "in Christ" occurs 580x in the New Testament and it is fundamental to understanding the true meaning of being saved.
  
Paul uses adoption language to say the same thing--we become what Jesus is. Paul refers to the Roman practice of the political elite where adoption allowed the aristocracy to find a suitable heir. Paul says that we share in the divine sonship of Jesus, which makes us heirs of God. We are made into His sons/daughters by the Holy Spirit, but this gift, is also a task. We repent, we pray, we study and we constantly struggle against the sinful desires which would steal our hearts from God. We cooperate with the Holy Spirit and live as children of God. 

To be the chosen people is to be chosen for ministry. Jesus says, " Very truly I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works then these, because I am going to the Father... If you ask in my name I will give it to you.... If you love me keep my commandments."


Pentecost is about continuing Jesus' mission of salvation. The power of God lies dormant in the church if we chose.  We are the Body of Christ, so everything that Jesus did on earth before He died we can do today. If we love Him, obey Him and trust Him He will work in us and through us. 


Do you want to be children of God?

Do you want to do great works in Jesus?
Are you tired of scraps under the table and ready to live as the Spirit filled church of God?

Let us pray!

Holy Spirit, set our hearts on fire with love. Make us, more and more, the holy children of God.
Jesus, we want to do great works in your name Use us today to save and sanctify the world. Amen. 


*cf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_in_ancient_Rome



No comments:

Post a Comment