Monday, May 15, 2017

More Trust

Following on yesterday's homily, I was especially open at Morning Prayer to hear these words:

psalm 56
3 Whenever I am afraid, *
I will put my trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can flesh do to me?
........
8 You have noted my lamentation;
put my tears into your bottle; *
are they not recorded in your book?
9 Whenever I call upon you, my enemies will be put to flight; *
this I know, for God is on my side.
10 In God the LORD, whose word I praise,
in God I trust and will not be afraid, *
for what can mortals do to me?

and the Monday Canticle
Isaiah 12:2-6
Surely, it is God who saves me;*
I will trust in him and not be afraid.
For the Lord is my stronghold and my sure defense,*
and he will be my Savior.
Save in Hebrew is yeshuah--Jesus in Hebrew. Knowing it is His name in the text has made the word even more powerful to me. The circle of fear and insecurity, trust and assurance is present both in psalm and canticle. This is a central component of Jewish Revelation and, by extension in Christ, the Gospel.

Theologically, there is much to be said here, but in simplest terms isn't it fair to say that the revelation of God's mercy and kindness is a call to trust? We all struggle with the role we play in this human divine dialogue. Is faith passive or active? Is human effort ruled out as an obstacle to God's activity or is it called forth as a response to grace? And Jesus (yeshuah), might be hidden (behind the veil) in the process of God's hand at work in the world.

As I strive to fear less, trust more, love more, I have solace in knowing that the Invisible One is trustworthy and that God's intent is to save all who trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment