Thursday, February 16, 2017

Isaiah 65

Two groups, two fates.
Choices create results.
Behaviors have consequences.

I do not believe the purpose of life is to try to figure out 'how to get into heaven.' I do not really hear that message in the Old Testament ( I prefer Jewish Bible) at all. I think that when I find it in the New Testament it is probably because I am carrying it into the text myself.

I do believe that, however else it is explained, the core purpose of life is to love God with all that I am and all that I have, and that the love of others (love neighbors as one's self)  is related to divine love. I am not very good at loving God or other people. And I think the problem is that I am probably unconsciously still trying to find a way into heaven without loving God or other people completely, purely and enthusiastically. It is a hard paradigm to get out of my head.

Isaiah 65 talks about two groups of people headed to two very different futures. One group "seeks God" without "asking for Him"--another way of saying that they engage in their "religious practices" for other purposes. I think "getting saved" is what is referred to here. "Getting saved" can be a cover for self-seeking, by this I mean it is trying to figure a way to get what I want. "Getting saved" focuses on my troubles and my safety (which is a major theme of the Jewish narratives). This is why so many people talk about heaven in terms of being with their loved ones, or being in a place of peace and beauty, or a place where God is providing my wants and needs because we can focus on ourselves and leave Him out--except for providing me with everything!

God says, "here I am" "I spread out my hands to a disloyal people who walk the way that is not good"
65:8-10 God will leave a remnant for the sake of "My servants" but 65:11-12 "but for those who forsake me..." Sword. Destruction. You did what I hold evil.
In our day is the message antiquated remembrance or pressing concern?

Ironically, the Gospel today has Jesus under scrutiny from various Jewish groups from His time. They are trying to trip Him up on paying tribute to Caesar and the silliness of believing in resurrection. The wider context is Jesus' last visit to Jerusalem where He is crucified. Jesus will issue the same warning as Isaiah. "Bear fruit, God's people, or you will be cursed and withered up like the fig tree." No change of message or tone between the Testaments. Same warning. Jerusalem will be torn down if she fails to repent.

Every age, the same. The Kingdom of God is nearby. God reaches out His hands to people who do not care, who are not interested in deep relationship with the Lord. We pursue our own folly, bleating "My will be done" as lost sheep wandering the desert places. Isaiah, Jesus, God--one voice, one message. There are two kinds of people, those who love God and those who don't. One voice, one message, the two groups have two destinies. One with God, one without. As we pray with Isaiah 65 it is probably relevant to ask, "which group am I in?"

No comments:

Post a Comment